You may find it useful to use this valuation calculator. By listing all the assets and liabilities you will obtain an indication of the net value of the deceased person’s estate.
This is a useful starting point in assessing whether the estate is going to a potential Inheritance Tax liability.
3. Then account for all additions and deductions
1. Deduct a transfer to the deceased person’s surving spouse
2. Deduct all gifts to UK registered charities
3. Add all gifts of property and money (over allowances) made in past 7 years
4. Add any asset given away in which the deceased person retained an interest
4. This total gives the value of the estate for Inheritance Tax purposes
Please note that information which we provide through Lasting Post is in outline for information or educational purposes only. The information is not a substitute for the professional judgment of a solicitor, accountant or other professional adviser. We cannot guarantee that information provided by Lasting Post will meet your individual needs, as this will very much depend on your individual circumstances. You should therefore use the information only as a starting point for your enquiries.